Wednesday 19 April 2006

Limited sphere of operations

Having, in adult years, rented four flats and owned four houses, some Victorian and all in various degrees of dilapidation, I am no mean hand with drill, saw, paintbrush and screwdriver. Usually I tackled with some enthusiasm whatever needed to be done, and at some periods this occupied all my spare time.
I read recently that DIY is now going out of fashion, and I am following this trend ardently, for nowadays I cannot do ladders or bend down or lie on the floor (well, of course I can, but getting up calls for assistance). But the skills laboriously acquired over the years can still occasionally be brought into play: if the job is sited between, say, between three and five feet from the ground (and preferably can be done sitting down), requires little strength or dexterity, and someone is on hand to pick up dropped screws or tools for me, then I am your man.
Except that on the whole it bores the hell out of me, and I would rather read a book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh that is a shame Dad! I remember fondly the "ADB" which was mentioned in the house details of the Victorian house we had when I was 10 years old... now no-one had an "Attractive Drinks Bar" like it! x