Wednesday, 7 November 2007

More hat fetishism


This post, the twenty-sixth in the series, features the Seppelhut, traditionally worn at the Oktoberfest, the Bavarian beer festival; this is claimed to be the largest fair in the world, attended by six million people each year. Some years ago I was one of them (by mischance, having gone to Munich for quite another reason) and can confirm that wearing this hat makes the most handsome and distinguished M√ľnchner (or, indeed, anyone else), look a complete idiot.

I can also state authoritatively that the festival is not a fun event for those who don’t much care for beer and dislike crowds. I do not know why nobody in this picture is wearing a silly hat.
(Click on it to appreciate the full beauty of the scene)

[My thanks to Crowbark for bringing the Seppelhut to my attention.]

No comments: