Tuesday 7 June 2005

The Olympic dream

Interesting that my friend Teddy III in Boston doesn’t even mention New York when he writes in his blog about the venue for 2012. He's probably right: the current view is that Paris remains ahead of London and the rest are nowhere. A couple of days ago it was front-page news that the IOC report said nice things about London, but today there are only small paragraphs listing the even nicer things that were said about Paris.

But such reports are always written in code, of course; it was nice to read that the authors recognised that London’s bid “enjoys strong support from the Queen”, but this actually means “we had a very nice dinner at Buckingham Palace”.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if London does win the bid, I hope you come up with a better official emblem than the one BC has unveiled as ours for the 2010 Winter Olympics at Whistler.

It is called "Ilanaaq", which is the Inuit word for friend, and which no one can pronounce.

Great Whote North Boy

Anonymous said...

I meant, 'White' not whote ... (I'm still half-asleep) .

Tony said...

Look, GWNB, it's nothing to do with me, I'm not coming up with any bloody official emblems for this circus. Since Moscow established the fashion for sub-Disney creatures they have all been appallingly cute, except for Cobi in Barcelona.
At least Vancouver's Ilanaaq owes nothing to Uncle Walt and I see in the 2010 website that it has offended a lot of Canadians, which can't be bad.
Do try to keep awake when commenting to OMF; I've finished writing about bores.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I didn't mean to imply my sleepiness was in anyway due to boredom! It was solely because I was up until 2 A.M. covertly downloading mp3's into my new iPOD.


Great White North Boy